If you have shopped for brand new cabinets lately, you will know it’s frequently a lot more economical to refinish your old cabinets rather than buy brand new ones. Listed here are 8 tips that can make your kitchen area cabinet refinishing a millionaire.
1. In case your cabinets are colored, take away the paint having a chemical stripper. In case your cabinets are stained or varnished, either clean the top well or remove the majority of the stain or varnish having a chemical refinisher.
2. Go ahead and take doorways off your cabinets and take away the handles and hardware. It will likely be much simpler should you lay the doorways flat to play with them.
3. Determine just how much damage there’s towards the cabinets. If there’s only minor damage, for example dark stains round the door handles, just clean these areas. Make use of a synthetic steel made of woll pad since it will not hurt your fingers or get caught around the wood-grain.
4. Dip the information in paint thinner, mineral spirits, or turpentine, and scrub the stains. Then gently scrub the entire surface, cleaning and dulling it therefore the new finish will stick.
5. Once you have cleaned the top and removed the dark stains, wipe with an oil-based, obvious finish for example Minwax. All obvious finishes are low-odor and many can be found in either glossy or satin finish. Apply several jackets for any thicker finish.
6. If you discover you have to redo not only a couple of stained areas, make use of a chemical refinisher – a powerful solvent cleaner that dissolves and removes area of the old varnish. Ask a specialist at the local paint store to point out a high quality refinisher.
7. When you are while using chemical refinisher, operate in small areas, and scrub the get a synthetic steel made of woll pad. Caffeine refinisher will take away the finish as well as the colour of the wood and stain. Rinse the information in additional refinisher if this will get clogged with dirty finish.
8. The cabinet’s surface ought to be smooth and evenly colored after you have scrubbed the entire surface. If you discover it is not, just wipe the whole cabinet in lengthy, overlapping strokes with clean refinisher and clean steel made of woll in lengthy, overlapping strokes. The majority of the stain color will stay, and also the wood can be really smooth.
It’s very essential that you put on protective clothing and make certain that the work space is well-ventilated when you are refinishing your cabinets. You should also follow all safety safeguards around the refinishing trademarks.
By using the 8 tips above, you are certain to enjoy your recently-refinished, beautiful cabinets for several years.